Sunday, February 6, 2011

Module Five Blog

This is my concept map:


I would say that my teaching and my preference as a student is more on the dynamic side.  I have to admit that I will scan a syllabi and an embedded static announcement and then move on.  It doesn’t stick with me.  When dynamic technologies are used, I am more likely to remember the information and act on it more quickly. 

Until I did the concept map, I wasn’t really thinking about how I share information or encourage my students to share information.  This made me think about two things.  One is creativity and the other is collaboration.

Creativity is needed in the world.  To me, creativity is the ability to step outside of a situation and use thinking skills that look for the not so obvious answer.  Outside of the box thinking is a direct product of creativity.  All too often, though systems of education and learning stifle creativity for conformity.  Conformity allows all children to learn the same thing and be tested in the same manner to assess the same standards of learning.  Then, when these same students enter a global, flat world where they are expected to think and show/share their knowledge, they are lost.  Why?  They can conform but they cannot creatively think about situations and come up with diverse possibilities to solve problems or even create new possibilities.

Sir Ken Robinson in a TED Talk discusses how schools kill creativity and why this matters:

Creativity allows student to think outside the box and find possibilities that may not have existed.  Creativity allows tinkering.  When you can take something apart and see how it works, it is easier to not only use the thing but also know how to manipulate the thing.  This is true in writing.  If you know the basic structure of a sentence or paragraph or even essay, you are better able to rethink how to present effective ideas in those constructs.

What about collaboration?  The model of conformity and the nature of high stakes testing makes knowledge and the acquisition of knowledge an individual sport.  Students are expected to learn what they need to effectively pass a high stakes test and move on to the next level; thus, starting the cycle again.  What about collaboration?  Again, the global, flat world will expect that students can effectively collaborate across modalities.  Emails don’t cut is anymore.  Students must be comfortable with using different modalities to communicate (Skype, Twitter, IM, etc).  We no longer live in a world where communication is a phone call away.  In most instances, communication must be a keystroke or mouse click away.  It’s faster and cheaper.  It allows collaboration to be flattened and easier to accomplish.

Global problems are not solved by individuals.  Rather, they are solved by people collaborating – thinking and working together to find and test solutions.  Sharing knowledge (Shirky calls cognitive surplus) is the most effective way to global collaborate.  In another TED Talk, Shirky gives an example of such collaboration:


What happens when we not only share information but we also share technology?  Shirky’s example of Ushahidi supports his ideas that collaboration can lead to global sharing of knowledge and information.  Student who are only taught conformity will not be able to collaborate on this level.

Static systems are needed.  In a world where communication can be disrupted by weather, we have to know that a phone is just as effective as a tweet or an IM.  In the bigger picture though, dynamic systems are the systems that are changing not only the world but also how we think and act in the world.  While we need skills to navigate static systems, it will be the dynamic systems that will allow us to change our world.

8 comments:

  1. Erica

    You hit the nail on the head. Yes, we do need the static systems, but we also have to realize that we are moving toward the Dynamic system more and more every day. I was thinking today it is so amazing how much the younger students can do, and how old I am feeling, by watching them. I would love to be in the dynamic system, but I am a long way from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post.
    You provide great resources and information backing up a well put together concept map.
    I have to agree with Lou in the fact that I am now just moving towards more dynamic technology use. Thanks to my online class experiences I am experiencing and developing my skills in these more dynamic technologies. I am anxious to implement these new tools in my classrooms, but we are very technologically and financially limited at our center.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lou ~
    For me, the steps I took toward using more dynamic technology was to try one new thing. I depended on my own network to give me tips and recommend tools to try. As I look back over the last few years, I realize that I have come a long way in my personal and professional use of technology. My advice is to ask others what works for them and then try one new thing.

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael ~
    Thank you :) Look fro the freebies. I have used Animoto for the last four years and just recently paid for the professional service so I could do more. I use Twitter and Diigo in my classes. Both are free and super easy to embed. Vimeo and Voice Thread also have free services too. I have found, though, that JayCut is your best go to for free video editing. My point? Even with a zero budget, there are dynamic tools to try. I have also been watching tech bloggers recently. Some of them are given free tools to try if they blog about them. Can you imagine a free Elmo viewer for trying it and blogging about your experience?!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erica,

    I have to agree with the others; this is an exceptional post. You provided clear cut information in both your graphic and text. I am currently using Camtasia for video editing but I will certainly check out JayCut.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claude,
    JayCut has been pretty easy to use. The friend who recommended it calls it an "intermediate" tool. Is Camtasia worth the price? I have thought about it but balk at the price.

    Thanks,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erica, your concept was interesting and you had technologies on the dynamic side that I never thought of as being dynamic(Skype). The videos were exceptionally informative and I really appreciate the section on creativity. It does not take dynamic technologies to be creative in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I toyed with Skype being dynamic or not. My final decision came down to Skype being IM, video, teleconference, screen share, dictation, etc. It was more usable in different settings and in different modes. If it was just IM (like Windows or AOL messenger), I would put it with static.

    I read a quote by Einstein this morning "Imagination is more important than intelligence." Formalized schooling misses the creative/imagination element I think. When students are allowed to use their imaginations and be creative, I think we see a deeper, more lasting learning.

    Erica

    ReplyDelete