Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Module Four Blog: Graphic Organizer




Thoughts and Reflection
Technology fits in the online classroom.  In my graphic organizer above, I have listed what I feel is needed for building collaboration in the online environment.  More than collaboration, it is a sense of shared knowledge space and shared experience.  For this to grown, I believe that the space should be student-centered, contain problem based learning, have clear expectations and objectives, and there be a sense of open and shared communication.
For student-centered environment, I feel that the instructor should set a clear expectation that each student is responsible for his or her own learning.  This can be done on the class discussion site and even as a started in a class blog.  For the class blog, the instructors could start the conversation by asking students to propose topics and to volunteer to lead topics.  This enables the students to have some power over the communication on the blogs and even discussions.  Wikis and Google Documents are other tools to use to foster a student-centered environment.  When students are asked to share their knowledge and experience, the see that they are equals in the learning process.  The beauty of Google Documents and Wikis is that each student is adding to and correcting the knowledge that is being shared.  This is active learning.  More important, it is student driven learning.
Problem based learning is important.  When students are given real world situations to analyze and solve, they are able to see how the skills they are learning in the classroom will equate to future careers.  TED videos is a great place to show students what innovators are thinking and working on right now all over the world.  Because these are fifteen or less minutes, students not only see the ideas but also see how to present ideas.  TED Videos are also a good place to start discussions on topics.  Google Documents and Diigo are good storage places for the ideas students are discussing.  Like a Wiki, Google Documents can be used to make lists of ideas, resources, and solutions.  Diigo, as a social bookmarking site, can allow students to share resources for the project.
All good projects must have a plan and a deadline.  Setting expectations and objectives is important and needed in any collaboration.  To be successful, students must know what they are working for and what success will mean in terms of project outcomes.  Checklists are useful here.  Wikis, Jing (screen casting), and Google Documents can all be used to communicate expectations and objectives to students.  Wikis and Google Documents would allow the checklists to be edited as needed.  Jing, on the other hand, would give visual and auditory reminders of the expectations and objectives.  This also creates a sense of knowing the instructor because the student can hear the instructor.  If Vimeo was used, the student could also see the instructor.
Communication is vital in any enterprise.  Effectively communicating ideas, expectations, objectives, and feedback is needed to ensure that the collaborative efforts are on target.  Voice welcomes to class give students a sense of community and welcome.  If an instructor welcomes students to class, students have an idea that the instructor is human and not an unknown computer entity.  That sense of humanity is important in a faceless and open identity world online.  Instructors should also give weekly reminders.  This reminds students of expectations and objectives while also reminding them that there is a real person in the class (instructor).  Students have told me that hearing my voice each week makes the class more real because they associate tasks with what I am telling them.  Audacity, Vimeo, Jing, and Animoto are all good tools for weekly reminders and welcomes.  I use Animoto to share funny images with students.  For instance, I always post a stress message in week three of my class.  I give some tips and accompany them with photos.  This is a thirty-second break for students.  It also reminds them that they need to have tools to combat stress.  Vimeo allows me to do a PPT presentation or screen sharing while talking.  This gives all three learning styles a chance to engage their learning style and know what the reminders are for the week.
I have to admit that I leverage technology quite a bit in my classes.  It ranges anywhere from simple PPT to JPEG announcements to voice reminders to Jing Videos on certain tasks.  I gauge where my students are and present information in formats that I know will engage them.  I also consider my lowest technological student.  I make sure that nothing I put on class is above their level.  I will mix in with some more difficult technologies for students that are technologically comfortable.
I think each class is different.  Each of us has to find what works best for our class at any given time.  This changes.  I know that what worked last quarter may not work this quarter.  I have tools to use, though, to make sure I can engage my students.



References
Anderson, T. (2008). The theory and practice of online learning. Edmonton, Canada: AU Press Athabasca University.
Durrington, V. A., Berryhill, A., & Swafford, J. (2006). Strategies for enhancing student interactivity in an online environment. College Teaching, 54(1), 190-193. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.
Palloff, R. M., & Pratt, K. (2007). Building online learning communities: Effective strategies for the virtual classroom. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass
Siemens, G. (2008). Learning and knowing in networks: Changing roles for educators and designers. Canada: George Siemens.
Woods, R. H. and Baker, J.D. (2004). Interaction and immediacy in online learning. The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 5(2). Retrieved from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/viewArticle/186/268


Web Sites Mentioned:
Google Documents: http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/ (select Docs on the right side)

6 comments:

  1. You did a wonderful job on your graph as well on your reflection. I have learned so much from your blog, thanks for including all of these sites and giving me some good ideas to use. I will be bookmarking all of the sites so I can use them throughout my classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome Lou! I think I can link you to my Diigo library if you are interested. I need to organize it a little more :)

    I try one new technology every 10 or so weeks. This is a term for one of my classes. I usually try to use the technology in the class I am teaching at that time. It's a good gauge of whether I can diffuse the technology.

    WallWisher (www.wallwisher.com) is a great beginning tool if you want to play with the idea of Wikis and student building of knowledge. My students love this because *they* are in charge of posting resources to the wall.

    Let me know if you want other resources. There are a TON out there. Also, you might consider subscribing to the Innovations Lab. They are great with tips and tricks (http://innovationslab.wordpress.com/)
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica,
    Great visual representation and reflection. I am sure your students are very engaged in your class. You provide a great technological diversity in your courses which is something I also identified as critical to learner engagement. Do you ever find it technologically taxing incorporating these various innovations?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael,
    I have a firm rule of try only one innovation a term (about every 2-3 months). I will incorporate one or two that I know work (my "go tos"). Other than that, I have to really be convinced a few things:
    1. no student login
    2. safe load on the class site so military students can access
    3. free

    Those are my basic three criteria for integrating. Once I have met those, I look at time involved for me and pay off for students.

    Sometimes, a good old fashioned handout works just as well. I make sure that for every tech tool I have, I have a basic Word or PPT to go with it.

    Thanks,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mentioned the student centered classroom and how we can use certain technologies to support a student centered environment. I agree with you that the online environment must be student centered, but we need to remember that the student body is highly diverse in culture, ethnicity, sometimes language. It is even more of a challenge for online instructors to penetrate barriers of such. Therefore, the online environment should be structured with technologies that will allow for those types of diversities and add flexibility to the learning community.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roxanne,
    It's my experience that respect is not garnered from technology but my expecting it from all involved. I can leverage all of the newest technology and it will not matter if I do not give and expect respect in my classroom.
    Thanks,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete